Sexual Abuse by a Medical Practitioner Attorney
Sexual Abuse by Doctors, Nurses, Psychologist, Dentist, Care Takers
When we go to a hospital or a doctors, dentists or psychologists office, we expect professionalism and
concern for the physical and mental ailments we are suffering from. We are often vulnerable and when a pediatrician, gynecologist, nurse or care practitioner breaks this trust, the emotional and physical abuse can be devastating.
According to the American Medical Association (AMA)
, sexual contact that occurs concurrent with the patient-physician relationship constitutes sexual misconduct. Sexual contact or sexual relations between physicians and patients are unethical. This prohibition against sexual relations with patients is incorporated into the Hippocratic Oath.
Doctors and medical professionals cannot
have sex with or sexually abuse or assault a patient. States like Florida have laws (The Florida Statute Law
) that prohibit it.
As in so many cases of sexual abuse, many of these cases go unreported and victims are left ashamed and left alone to deal with the emotional pain and physical trauma that these medical professionals have caused. In other situations, doctors assault patients by engaging in sexual contact with incompetent or unconscious patients.Learn Some of the Potential Warning Signs:
Examples of Doctor, Dentist and Psychologist Sexual Assault on Patients:
- The doctor gropes or rubs inappropriately during a medical exam
- If the doctor request to be completely alone in the room with you or your child
- The doctor request to see you outside the doctor’s office in a private setting
- Asks the nurse to leave when giving a medical examination
- Asks you to return frequently to the doctor’s office without any medical reason
- 2012 – A doctor from the Dalles accused of sexually assaulting patients is set to plead guilty to the charges. He was indicted for the sexual abuse of at least 12 women. Investigators said the abuse happened at the Mid-Columbia Medical Center while the victims were sedated for surgery.
- 2012 - A California gynecologist has been charged with sexually assaulting a patient on two occasions while examining her. “The victim was smart enough to take the bed sheet and turn it into police,” Deputy Attorney General Cindy M. Lopez wrote.
- 2012 – Police have arrested a Connecticut doctor on multiple charges of sexual assault, charging that he sexually abused three patients in his Clinton office.
- 2012 – A South Florida nurse technician was arrested on charges he raped a patient in his care at Kendall Regional Medical Center.
- 2011 – On the heels of allegations that a former Austin State Hospital psychiatrist sexually abused children in his care, an American-Stateman investigation found that the state hospital system currently employs three doctors with a documented history of inappropriate and in one case criminal sexual behavior.
- 2010 – The state Medical Quality Assurance Commission found that a former Richland anesthesiologist committed unprofessional conduct when he touched the breasts of two unconscious women just prior to surgery.
Physical or sexual abuse by a medical professional is wrong and is against the law. If you or a loved one was sexually abused, raped or sexually molested, by a doctor, nurse, dentist, anesthesiologist, psychologist, etc. contact our sexual abuse / victim’s rights attorneys
to discuss your legal rights.